Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mother Theresa and charity

Mother Theresa

I was surprised to know that she was an Albanian. I used to think she was Austrian, whose original name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu - the nobel prize has this info.

Sister Nirmala of her foundation, had written to me, thanking for the donation made, a reasonable sum. Their website is http://www.motherteresa.org/

I always donate 5% that I make of stock markets gains every year. That was a big amount considering my upbringing those days.

Last year I sent it anonymously to Raghava Lawrence Trust. Yet to hear from them, but the check for encashed.

No one new, that she was having USSR passport, when she came to India. That is how, she was able to stay continuously without getting citizenship for a long time, just renewing visa, owing to the tieups then. Eventually she got her Indian Citizenship, honorary I think.

There in Kolkatta they decide, who can volunteer with them (for Indians). For foreigners, since they give donation in dollars, any time, any day, they can stay with them and work!


No comments: